Call for Submissions: ASKIY Export Residency
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Monday August 9, 2021 at 4PM CST
We’re excited to launch the second online edition of the ASKIY Export Residency through the Indigenous Music West program at Manitoba Music.
ASKIY means “world” in the Plains Cree language and has been shared by Jerry Roasting from Maskwacîs, Alberta.
Running on Thursdays, September - November 2021, ASKIY is an opportunity for export-ready Indigenous artists in Canada to focus on music business and career development. Participants will have the chance to develop international business skills while building relationships with industry partners from Germany, US, Australia, Latin America, UK, and South Korea, and connecting with other Indigenous artists/industry professionals from Canada.
If you’re thinking of applying, please watch the MusicWorks Market Info Sessions via Facebook at www.facebook.com/manitobamusic/videos. These free sessions will feature industry experts from each ASKIY market covering important things to know about their specific regions and why they could be important targets for your business development.
- Export-ready singers, singer/songwriters, musicians, and beat makers/music producers who identify as First Nation, Metis, or Inuit
- Individuals who have performed at least 10 times in the last 18 months (including paid and unpaid performances)
- Individuals who have released one album or EP in the past four years or have plans to release a second album or EP in the next 12 months
- All participants must be 18-years-of-age or older.
An export-ready artist:
- Has one or more team members (manager, publicist, agent, label, or publisher)
- Has regularly toured outside of their own province over the past 3-4 years
- Has released professionally-recorded music to streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) within the last two years, or an upcoming release in the next six months
- Has performed at an industry showcase or notable festival (e.g. BreakOut West, M for Montreal, Halifax Pop Explosion, SXSW, Reeperbahn Festival, Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival, International Indigenous Music Summit)
- Has identified target markets with a rationale and export marketing goals
To apply, please fill out the application form below before August 9, 2021 at 4PM CST.
Applications will be rejected if incomplete or late.
Applicants will be adjudicated by a committee of industry professionals based on:
- Strength of rationale of export marketing plan
- Export readiness
Manitoba Music is dedicated to equity and equal representation with selecting participants to reflect the diversity of our industry.
For more information, please contact contact:
Ashley Bieniarz, Indigenous Music Development Coordinator
Treaty 1 Territory