APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday December 21 at 3PM CT
Indigenous Music is now accepting applications for the Indigenous Music Residency (IMR; formally AMP Camp). The week-long residency offers mid-career Indigenous women and gender minority recording artists an opportunity to develop their business skills, artistic abilities, and basic production experience. Running virtually on March 14 to 16, and in-person on March 20 to 25, 2022 at the Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre in Riding Mountain National Park in Treaty No. 2, Central Manitoba, IMR will invite up to 10 women-identifying, trans, and gender non-conforming Indigenous recording artists from across Canada to participate. The project is led by Manitoba Music in partnership with the Canada Council for the Arts.
Anishinaabeg Gaa-Wiid-Anokiiwad Chi-Gidochigewad means “People Who Work Together to Learn Music'' in Anishinaabemowin, has been shared by Gina Nepinak from Pine Creek First Nation.
Tuesday December 21 at 3PM CT
March 14-16, 2022 | Virtual programming
March 19, 2022 | Travel day
March 20-25, 2022 | In-person programming at Elkhorn Resort Spa & Conference Centre in Riding Mountain National Park in Treaty No. 2, Central Manitoba
While discussions about touring and marketing are mainstays each year, a large focus this year will provide basic demo production training through Ableton Live 11 software.
A typical day at the Indigenous Music Residency includes about 10 hours of programming beginning at 9AM with time set aside for meals and an afternoon of one-on-one mentor meetings.
Each participant will be required to perform at least two songs for feedback and advice from mentors during performance coaching and demo recording sessions.
All discussions and print-outs will be in English.
Artists considered for this opportunity must:
- Be First Nation, Métis, and Inuit recording artists residing in Canada and 18+
- Be female-identifying, trans, and/or gender non-conforming
- Be fully vaccinated by two weeks before the first day of residency
- Have access to a laptop that is compatible with Ableton Software (Compatibility requirements: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001663530-Live-Minimum-System-Requirements)
For the purposes of this project, First Nation, Métis, and Inuit recording artists are defined as follows:
- Singers, singer/songwriters, emcees, musicians, and beat makers/music producers who identify as First Nation, Métis, or Inuit
- Individuals who have performed in the last 24 months (including paid and unpaid performances)
- Individuals who have released 3 singles, an album or EP in the past four years or have plans to release a second album or EP in the next 12 months
Transportation & Accommodations
Invited artists will be provided accommodations, three meals per day along with snacks and breaks, as well as transportation between Winnipeg and the Elkhorn Resort.
Participants from outside of Manitoba will also receive round-trip economy flights and ground transportation in Winnipeg.
Each application will be adjudicated by a committee of music industry professionals. The committee will review the information in the application along with applicants’ websites and social media profiles.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- Strong vocals and/or lyrics for singers, singer/songwriters, or emcees
- Solid musicianship and/or a demand for services for musicians or beat maker/music producers
- Momentum, demonstrated by performance history, media coverage, and social media following
- Goals of pursuing a professional career
The committee will be relying on applicants’ websites to provide the following (if using a social media page as a website, please make sure it includes everything):
- A biography that highlights your momentum, experience, and accomplishments
- A 1-2 minute video introduction, telling us:
- Who you are
- Where you’re from
- What kind of music you make
- Why you should be chosen for this opportunity
- Performance history
- Easy access to all your social media profiles
- Easy access to your music and videos
- At least one high-resolution promotional photograph available for download
Video created on your phone on your computer is fine. We’re not looking for a professional video, we just want to hear more about your career
To apply, fill out the form at: https://forms.gle/aqTqY1vZcdeBKNFp6
For more information about this project, please contact: